Friday, April 10, 2009

Alone

"Alone" is often interpreted as autobiographical, expressing the author's feelings of isolation and inner torment. Poet Daniel Hoffman believed "Alone" was evidence that "Poe really was a haunted man."[3] The poem, however, is an introspective about Poe's youth,[4] written when he was only 20 years old.


Alone


From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I loved, I loved alone.
Then- in my childhood, in the dawn
Of a most stormy life- was drawn
From every depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that round me rolled
In its autumn tint of gold,
From the lightning in the sky
As it passed me flying by,
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.





3 comments:

Red said...

It's been a good month for Poe.

Anonymous said...

Great post Thank-You! and god Bless

Anonymous said...

I love Poe and have felt that I am him at times. Seeing into the darkness and shadows as you do. It is not a scary place, it is a place we are familiar with, one that we would freely give up, but yet long for at times, for which it is all we know.

Life is lonely, love is lonely, friend at times is lonely and we are alone. I found solace that being alone brought me closer to who and what I truly am internally, what makes me tick and why i tick in the beat I do.

I know you know that as well. I feel alone in a room fool of a thousand, for my thoughts and my idea's are different then the herds of people that bunch together like lemmings. That is ok for I KNOW i have myself as you know you have yourself.

gives you a kiss on the cheek on the way out the door, great post as usual